An authentic surf adventure that will leave you gob-smacked and wanting more!!
Jiwa offers an incredible experience on a stunning custom built vessel. Surfing around the North Sumatran regions of the Banyaks and Nias you will encounter a variety of amazing waves in remote locations away from the masses. Jiwa charters offer an amazing opportunity to escape surf frustrations, chase the horizon and pull into some Sumatran perfection.
Jiwa’s first voyage saw the crew pass by some of the best surfing locations on the planet seeking out the most perfect uncrowded waves possible. Since its maiden voyage the focus of each journey has been to find surfable locations without sharing each wave with other charter boats in attendance. This may mean spending less time at the most famous spots in favour of lesser-known but empty breaks further a field.
If the Jiwa is not chasing waves there’s always plenty of opportunities to fish, dive or just relax onboard as this majestic vessel cruises through the islands to breathtaking anchorages.
A trip onboard Jiwa offers the opportunity to experience a really authentic Indonesian adventure, the memories of which will last a lifetime
Jiwa is a solid 23m traditional Phinisi vessel. Built using the finest ironwood with full length beams and double keel, her builder has ensured that as well as looking great Jiwa has been engineered to perform well out at sea. Her 6-cylinder diesel engine pushes her along at a respectable 7.5 knots and if the winds are right, her sails can be set for some classic cruising.
The boat is split into 3 levels.
The top deck has day mattresses, beanbags and low set coffee tables, making it the prime place to hangout under magical sunsets after celebrating a long day surfing.
The foredeck has a table and further seating under a large canopy.
Towards the stern is our entertainment area with TV/DVD, bar, large dining table and couches down each side. The saloon ensures you can always escape from the sun and that everyone can still find space to spread out in less favourable weather.
Below decks, we have the kitchen and supplies. Forward of this is a separate Air Conditioned sleeping cabin with beds for 8 guests and two bathrooms.
Assisting Jiwa is a 4.2m Rigid Inflatable Boat with 40hp engine, which provides for fast transfers to and from the surf and for scouting out potential “around the corner”
About your Jiwa Adventure
Jiwa pride themselves on making your surf charter experience as enjoyable and stress-free as possible. On arrival at the airport you will be welcomed by a Jiwa representative and driven to the port where you’ll meet your guide and crew for the trip.
Once aboard you’ll get he low down on the vessel, look at the charts, consider the swell and weather forecast and discuss the best wave options. Jiwa aims have you arriving at the surf at first light the following morning. Sleep of the jet lag, recover from the journey and wake up to the first waves of the trip – Perfect!
The next 11 days will see you surfing your way around the islands. Part of the beauty of this area is the density of world class breaks, meaning there are a variety of options available on any given day. Eleven days will provide plenty of time to experience all that the islands have to offer.
An example itinerary is as follows:
Day 1/Arrive Medan for overnight stay whilst boards are transferred overland to Sibolga*
Day 2/Fly to Sibolga then transfer to Jiwa and depart in afternoon. Overnight Steam to the Banyak Islands.
Day 3/Wake up in the Banyaks and surf your brains out, fish, eat, sleep, relax, play cards, surf, eat, have a few beers etc… This sets the tone for the next 10 days.
Day4-11/Repeat day 3 and surf the best waves Nth Sumatra has to offer
Day 12/Return to Sibolga early morning and boards travel overland to Medan and then transfer to flight back to Medan. Late evening flight home (meet boards at airport)
* Your surfboards are in VERY safe hands and the experienced crew at PT Boraspati have been co-ordinating surfers in Nth Sumatra for many years. They handle your pride possessions with care. Merpati airlines flights to Sibolga will not uplift surfboards so overland is the way to go.
We have a good selection of toys onboard to keep you entertained if the surf does drop off: Mals, the option to freedive, paddleboard, or go fishing. The Jiwa crew will encourage you to go ashore and explore the local villages and culture.
On the evening of 11th surfing day, you’ll have your final sunset beer, say goodbye to the islands and make our way back to port. After departing Jiwa you’ll be greeted by the ground crew and transferred to the airport for your return journey home.
Jiwa is a crowd dodging vessel with a simple determination to avoid putting their guest into an already crowded break. Hence they explore other options and have no qualms about searching further a field. Aceh, Banyaks, Hinakos & Nias are regular ports of call for the Jiwa . There is an incredible range of breaks in these regions, lefts, rights, challenging spitting beasts or chilled long walls presenting perfect wakable sections. The North Sumatran Island chains are a surfers Disneyland a constant and varied feast for surfers. World Surfaris feel that every surfer owes to themselves to surf this remarkable region and challenge you to find an equivalent the world over.
Just wanted to give you a rundown of our trip. It went very smooth all the way thru.
The transfers and service was excellent ,on time friendly and reliable. The hotel Danau Toba was excellent value and great location.
The highlight of the trip was ”the Jiwa “
1. The local crew were fantastic and made us feel welcomed and like royalty.
2. Food was unbelievable!! Heaps of it and catered for different tastes. Plenty of drinks and never ran low on snacks.
3. The boat has got heaps of space and I mean heaps . Everyone can stretch out in multiple areas during down time. This is a major plus having been on boats where space is restricted and starts to get to you.
4. The owner was brilliant! not one request was knocked back. He would take a full role in activities with and take us , fishing, snorkelling etc when the need arose. He was friendly and mingled well with the guys. His knowledge of the area maximised our surfing.
5. Eugene the surf guide definitely made the trip. He was our motivator and mentor . Nailed the surf spots and conditions. The boys all loved him and when we weren’t surfing we were laughing with him or at him.
I can’t endorse this boat and crew enough. If ever any of your clients want a reference for this boat I am more than happy to provide it.
Thanks for your service it was well organised and I look forward to the next trip!!
I just returned from Indo yesterday after 2 months and wanted to thank you for organising the land camp and boat trip in July. Couldn’t have asked for anything more for the first 4 weeks of a holiday!
I also wanted to pass on the massive raps I have on the Jiwa….sickest experience ever!!
The highlight of the 2 months was the 12 days on the Jiwa. We were lucky enough to score back to back swells and surfed some of the best uncrowded waves I’ve ever had.
Euge is one of the maddest guys I’ve met. Always fully frothing and had everyone stoked from every session. He’s full of energy and treated everyone like a VIP. His knowledge of the area was spot on. To top it off the boat was gifted with a solo ancourage at 6ft perfection on the last day…3 of us out and the pictures from Sean and Hendri to prove it.
Food was ridiciulously good. Everyone ate like kings. Ding dong was a killer in the kitchen and with Euge’s expert cullinary input I’m still having withdrawals from the rendang and the freshest ever mackerel steaks.
The local crew are legends. I’m still winless in chess.
Can’t say enough about the crew and the experience. Trip of a lifetime.
Thanks again for all your help guys. And also, thanks for organising the night at the Marriott in Medan following our return from the boat. I would suggest that everyone do the same, because it would allow you all to surf longer on the last day. Plus a chance to clean up and chill when you get back.
Best holiday I’ve had.
North Sumatra surf charter – Jiwa
- surf camps
- 10 full surfing days.
- 3 x meals and snacks prepared by experienced chef.
- All soft drinks and water.
- 3 Bintangs per day (more can be pre-purchased at cost on request).
- Use of paddleboards, Mals, snorkeling and fishing equipment onboard.
- Transfers to and from airport.
- North Sumatra trips will operate from either Sibolga or Nias depending on which leg of the journey you join us on, further advice will be given re booking flights, departure ports etc.
- Mentawai trips operate from the international port of Padang. If you do not wish to stay overnight in Padang please ensure that flights arrive before 2pm on the day of departure and your return flight is no earlier than 12pm. If you would prefer to stay overnight in Padang let us know and we can help to find a suitable hotel for you.
SURFPOINTS: Aceh, Banyaks, Hinakos & Nias are regular ports of call for the Jiwa
SUITABILITY: There is something for everyone.. from intermediate to experience surfers...shortboarders and also longboarders will all get there needs.